Sustainability at TrenchersWe are committed to making Trenchers as sustainable as possible. Here are some of the things we have done:
- Platters: We use recycled card platters that can be recycled after use. These are made locally at Walsall Box, which is less than 7 miles from our base.
- Platter bags: We use clear recyclable platter bags. These are generally recycled at supermarkets, but some businesses have them on site. We considered using hard plastic covers or bioplastic clingfilm, but these are not suitable for large platter boxes. We also tried using card platters with a card lid, but this affected the freshness of the food, as the card is porous and allows moisture to escape.
- Cups, plates, napkins, knives, and forks: We use paper or wooden tableware.
- Meats and cheeses: We source our meats and cheeses from a local supplier who is based 100 yards from us. They source their products from local farms within about a 100-mile radius.
- Fruit and vegetables: We source our fruit and vegetables from Birmingham wholesale markets. We try to get as much British produce as possible, but some items are seasonal or tropical, so we get the best we can from local businesses trading in the markets.
- Vans: All of our vans meet the clean air requirements for Birmingham.
We are always looking for ways to improve our sustainability, and we will continue to do so in the future.Here are some additional things we could do to make our catering more sustainable:
- Use compostable tableware.
- Offer vegetarian and vegan options.
- Reduce food waste by better planning and portioning.
- Educate our customers about sustainability.
We believe that by making small changes, we can make a big difference to the environment.